Simca Talbot Information Centre
SIMCA 1000 COUPE, SIMCA 1200S COUPE
With the end of the Aronde range, Simca had no sports model in their line up, and so the
designers looked at the possibility of creating a sports coupe based on the Simca 1000.
Bertone was the styling house selected, and an attractive two door coupe was first
offered to the motoring public in 1963. The car was styled by Giorgio Giugiaro, then
starting his career at Bertone. He was later to produce such cars as the Lotus Espirit,
original Volkswagen Golf, Passat and Sirocco. At launch Car magazine described the 1000
Coupe as "the world's neatest small coupe". The main mechanical change in the 1000 Coupe
compared with the saloon was the adoption of disc brakes all round. It retained the
standard 944 cc engine. While only produced in relatively small numbers, the 1000 Coupe
proved popular with the younger, upmarket set it was aimed at. The car was an attractive
alternative to the similarly rear engined Renault Floride. Production stopped early in
In September 1967, a revised Coupe made its debut. Called the 1200S, it featured
a much larger engine of 1204 cc. By fitting two twin choke Solex carburettors, output was
an impressive 80 bhp, giving a top speed of 109 mph. The car gained a more muscular
appearance thanks to a clever restyle at the front, with the bonnet line extended over a
matt black grille flanked by a pair of auxiliary driving lights. The wheels received
stylish black centre caps (later to be used on other sporty Simcas) and the interior was
upgraded with leather trim available as an option. Despite a price double that of the
Simca 1000 Rallye, the 1200S was even more successful than the 1000 Coupe. For the 1970
model year, power was increased to 87 bhp, giving almost 112 mph. This was the fastest
standard production Simca ever built. October 1970 saw the fitting of a vinyl roof, and
the offering of optional alloy wheels. Production ceased in 1971 after 14,729 examples
had been sold.
While all 1000 and 1200S coupes were only built with left hand drive, six 1200S
cars were converted to right hand drive by Warwick Wright, a London Rootes dealer in
1968. Amazingly, no fewer than three of these cars have survived and are owned by Simca
Club UK members. A handful of left hand drive 1000 and 1200S Coupes are also known to the
UK Club. As you can imagine, in France these cars are highly regarded and even have their
own Club (see Clubs listing). Most mechanical parts can be sourced thanks to the car
being based largely on the 1000 saloon.
For spares try Phil Hart on 01733 242242 or email at
For most body and trim parts you should try Club Simca
Bertone, see full details on the Overseas Simca Clubs page.
Click here for the next chapter in the Simca story.
Simca Club UK | Overseas Simca Clubs | Home page |
Spares locator page | Route UK | Club Forum
Design & production by Novaspan Systems Copyright © 2003. Notes by David Chapman, Simca Club UK. Not to be reproduced without permission